Miller Thomson Foundation Awards Scholarships Totalling $300,000
to Graduating High School Students Across Canada
Since 1995 $3.15 million has been awarded to 2,750 students
TORONTO (June 20, 2012) – The Miller Thomson Foundation’s National Scholarship Program is awarding $3,000 academic scholarships to 100 Canadian students, bringing its total contribution to $3.15 million in scholarship awards to 2,750 graduating high-school students since 1995. The award recipients will be announced in the Globe and Mail's Focus Section section on Saturday, June 23.
“The Miller Thomson Foundation’s National Scholarship Program was created to recognize the achievements and aspirations of remarkable young Canadians,” says Gerald Courage, Chair of the Miller Thomson Foundation. “The scholarships encourage and promote the attainment of the higher education goals of exceptional high-school graduates who have demonstrated a high level of academic achievement and have made outstanding contributions to their schools and communities. They can be applied to any area of study at any Canadian university or college.”
Approximately 1,600 high school students from across Canada applied for Miller Thomson Foundation Scholarships in 2012.
The Miller Thomson Foundation is governed by a board of 25 prominent members of Canada’s business and education communities and co-chaired by The Rt. Hon. John N. Turner, P.C., C.C., Q.C. and Gary G. Campbell, Q.C.
Miller Thomson LLP is one of Canada's largest full-service national law firms, with over 470 lawyers working from Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Regina, London, Kitchener-Waterloo, Guelph, Toronto, Markham and Montréal. The firm provides business law, advocacy and personal legal services to Canadian and international corporations, entrepreneurs, institutions, governments and not-for-profit organizations.
- 30 -
To determine the media availability of current award recipients, please contact:
Lesley A. Lawson, Executive Director, The Miller Thomson Foundation
For further information about the Miller Thomson Foundation, please contact:
Gerald Courage, Chair
Miller Thomson LLP
Miller Thomson Foundation
- Created by Miller Thomson LLP in 1995 and funded annually by its partners, the Miller Thomson Foundation will have donated, as of June 2012, a total of $3.15 million for scholarships recognizing 2,750 graduating high-school students from across Canada.
- The Miller Thomson Foundation is governed by a board of 25 prominent members of Canada’s business and education communities and Co-Chaired by The Rt. Hon. John N. Turner, P.C., C.C., Q.C. and Gary G. Campbell, Q.C. A full list of board members appears at the end of this background document.
Miller Thomson Foundation Scholarships
- The Miller Thomson Foundation annually awarding academic scholarships of $3,000 to 100 Canadian students1 who have excelled in high school and are pursuing post-secondary education.
- The scholarships encourage and promote the attainment of higher education goals by top students in Canada who have demonstrated a high level of academic achievement and have made positive contributions to their school and community.
- The scholarships are available to graduating students attending Canadian secondary schools. All award recipients must pursue programs at Canadian colleges and universities.
- Approximately 1,600 high school students from across Canada applied for Miller Thomson Foundation Scholarships in 2012.
- In addition to the candidate's academic abilities, judges evaluate the candidate's contribution to their school and their community through their involvement in extracurricular activities. Contributions to the community may be demonstrated by involvement in local clubs, organizations and community activities or through after-school jobs that assist the candidate’s family or fund the candidate’s education.
- By supporting some of the best and the brightest young people in Canada, the Miller Thomson Foundation encourages the aspirations of positive, highly-motivated students who have the potential to make tremendous contributions to the futures of our communities, society and country.
Miller Thomson LLP
- Miller Thomson LLP is one of Canada's largest full-service national law firms, with over 470 lawyers working from Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Regina, London, Kitchener-Waterloo, Guelph, Toronto, Markham, and Montréal. The firm provides a range of business law, advocacy and personal legal services to Canadian and international corporations, entrepreneurs, institutions, governments and not-for-profit organizations.
- Since Miller Thomson's inception over 55 years ago, one of the firm's core philosophies has been the active contribution of its lawyers and staff to the well-being of the communities it serves through support of public and social service programs.
Miller Thomson Foundation 2012 Board of Governors
Gary G. Campbell, Q.C. and The Rt. Hon. John N. Turner, P.C., C.C., Q.C.,
Co-Chairs, Board of Governors, The Miller Thomson Foundation
Dr. Gary G. Albach, Ph.D., Corporate Director
J. Christopher Barron, Corporate Director
Douglas G. Bassett, O.C., KStJ, O.Ont., LL.D., D.Litt., Chairman and President,
A. W. A. Bellstedt, Q.C., Corporate Director and Independent Consultant
Jalynn H. Bennett, C.M., Corporate Director
Hugh J. Bolton, FCA, Chairman of the Board, EPCOR Utilities Inc.
George L. Cooke, President and Chief Executive Officer,
The Dominion of Canada General Insurance Company
David W. Cornhill, B.Sc.(Hons), MBA, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer,
John P. Dunne, Retired Executive
Dr. Glenn Feltham, Ph.D., LL.B., MBA, BS, BA, President and Chief Executive Officer,
The Northern Alberta Institute of Technology
A. P. Franceschini, P.Eng., Corporate Director
Dr. Peter J. George, C.M., O.Ont., B.A.(Hon.), M.A., Ph.D., D.U. (Hon.), D.Hon.C.,
D.Litt.(Hon.), LL.D.(Hon.), President Emeritus, McMaster University
Douglas O. Goss, Q.C., Chairman, Board of Governors, University of Alberta
William Hogarth, Director of Education (Retired)
J. D. Hole, P.Eng., Corporate Director
Dr. Michael J. Mahon, Ph.D., President and Vice Chancellor, University of Lethbridge
David G. A. McLean, O.B.C., LL.D., Chairman, Canadian National
Kevin Nabholz, Kevlor Developments
The Hon. Belinda Stronach, Founder, The Belinda Stronach Foundation
Lawrence M. Tanenbaum, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer,
Kilmer Van Nostrand Co. Limited
Richard E. Waugh, President and Chief Executive Officer, Scotiabank
Dr. Terrence H. White, Ph.D., Independent Consultant
John E. Zahary, President and Chief Executive Officer, Sunshine Oilsands Ltd.
1 Included in our 2012 National Scholarship Programme are five (5) Miller Thomson Foundation Entrance Leadership Scholarships supported at the University of Alberta in the amount of $3,000.00 each.