Brendan Burns completed his articles with Miller Thomson in 2011 and remained with the firm as an associate in the Private Client Services and Corporate Commercial groups. His practice focuses on estate planning, estate administration, not-for-profit law and general business law.
Brendan has broad experience assisting and advising clients with their personal estate planning, including the preparation of wills, powers of attorney, representation agreements and trusts. Brendan also has experience in obtaining grants of probate, letters of administration and committeeship orders. He assists clients with general business matters, such as corporate reorganizations, purchases and sales of businesses, and corporate governance issues.
Brendan obtained an LL.B. from the University of Manitoba in 2010. During law school he was actively involved in the student community as a representative of the Manitoba Law Students’ Association. Brendan also volunteered with the University of Manitoba Legal Aid Centre and the Community Legal Education Association.
In his spare time Brendan enjoys travelling, having backpacked throughout Africa and Southeast Asia. He also enjoys golf, soccer, and ultimate frisbee.
- LL.B., University of Manitoba, 2010
- Member, Canadian Bar Association - Wills and Trusts Subsection
- Student Member, STEP Canada
- Community Contribution Companies, Miller Thomson seminar: "Charities Law Update", 2013
- British Columbia Community Contribution Company Update, Charities and Not-for-Profit Newsletter, April 2013
- Federal Budget Review, 2013
- Extra-Jurisdictional Recognition of Enduring Powers of Attorney and Representation Agreements in British Columbia, Wealth Matters, Spring 2012
Key Practice Expertise
Year of Call
- British Columbia Bar, 2011