David is a business lawyer and partner in Miller Thomson’s Waterloo office. He is a Registered Canadian and U.S. Patent Agent, having passed the Patent Agent Examinations on his first attempt. David is also a Registered Canadian and U.S. Trade-mark Agent.
David provides legal services to a broad range of clients across Ontario and Canada, including multinational corporations, universities, startup businesses and entrepreneurs, research hospitals, small business owners, charities, and international IP counsel, among others. Notably, David has prosecuted hundreds of patent and trade-mark applications around the world and manages significant IP portfolios for several of the firm’s global clients.
Well positioned just outside the Greater Toronto Area, David is committed to providing a business minded and cost conscious approach consistent with his clients’ legal needs.
David completed his law degree at Western, where he was the recipient of the Dean of Law Entrance Scholarship and obtained highest standing in Advanced Patent Law. In his undergraduate career, David was the recipient of two Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) Undergraduate Student Research Awards.
In 2008, David was seconded to assist the in-house legal department of a leading Canadian wireless communications company headquartered in Waterloo with its IP/IT matters. In 2012, David was the firm’s nominee for the prestigious Precedent Setter award.
David is also an adjunct professor at Western, Faculty of Law, where he teaches the Advanced Intellectual Property course. In 2011, he was recognized by the Western University Students' Council with a USC Teaching Award of Excellence.
David is a lifelong resident of Waterloo Region.
- LL.B., University of Western Ontario, 2006
- B.Sc. (Hons), University of Waterloo, 2003
- Registered Patent Agent, Canada (2009), United States (2010)
- Registered Trade-mark Agent, Canada (2008), United States (2009)
- Adjunct Professor, Western University, Faculty of Law (2009-present)
- Recipient, USC Teaching Award of Excellence, Western University Faculty of Law
- Highest Standing, Advanced Patents, Western University
- Recipient, Dean of Law Entrance Scholarship, Western University
- Recipient, NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Awards
- Recipient, Year One Scholarship, University of Waterloo
- Peer Reviewer, Western Law Journal
- Member, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC)
- Member, Communitech
- Member, Canada’s Technology Triangle (CTT)
- Member, Greater Kitchener Waterloo Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Cambridge Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Guelph Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Ontario Agri Business Association
- Member, Kitchener Waterloo Intellectual Property Group
- Member, Canadian and Ontario Bar Associations
- Member, Waterloo Law Association
- Member, Law Society of Upper Canada
- A Cause For Concern To Geo-Domain Name Owners? CIRA Orders Transfer Of niagararegion.ca To Municipality, Information & Technology Law (Carswell), Vol. 11, No. 3, 2009
Key Practice Expertise
Areas of Focus
- Patent Prosecution
- Trade-mark and Brand Protection
- Technology Commercialization
- IP/IT Licensing
Year of Call
- Ontario Bar, 2007