David Woolford is a partner in the Business Law Group of Miller Thomson LLP in the Southwestern Ontario and Toronto offices. Mr. Woolford specializes in investment/corporate finance and governance, and the structuring and commercialization of intellectual property rights for emerging companies. He has also been very involved in transactional and regulatory work with capital pool companies (CPCs), labour-sponsored investment funds, other venture capital and private equity funds, angel investors and sub debt, asset-based lending and other financiers. He also focuses on limited partnerships; mergers, acquisitions, divestitures and other corporate reorganizations; reverse takeovers (RTOs); e-business / e-commerce; outsourcing; and on software and technology development, licensing, acquisition and distribution contracts.
Mr. Woolford is a regular speaker and has written several articles on VC, private equity and cross-border financings and previously on technology and e-commerce matters. His speaking engagements have included to the Profit50 CEO Bootcamp, Canada-U.S. Law Institute, National Angel Organization, Ontario Centres of Excellence, Association for Corporate Growth, Canadian and American Bar Associations, Canadian Conference on Auditing and Computer Technology, IT Policy Summit in Washington, D.C., Software Information Industry Association and the PricewaterhouseCoopers Expert Access Series and have covered notable topics such as “Accessing North American Capital through the Toronto Stock Exchange”, "Private Financing of Entrepreneurships", "Show Me the Money – Secrets to Raising Capital", "Capital Pool Companies: A New Approach to Venture Capital Financing", "US Private Equity in Canada", "Cross-Border Financing of Biotech Companies" and "Heading Down the Road: Accessing U.S. Capital Markets".
As an active member in his community, Mr. Woolford has been extensively involved in the United Way of Peel, including 10 years as a fundraiser (2 years as Chair of the United Way of Peel Charity Golf Tournament) and was formerly the honourary National Solicitor and a director of Peel Senior Link, a laudable community service organization providing supportive services and care to senior citizens.
In addition to earning his LL.B from the University of Western Ontario, David completed 2 years towards his B.M. (Mathematics and Computer Science) at the University of Waterloo.
- Chairman and Director of Hegco Canada Inc.
- Chairman and Director of Virox Technologies Inc.
- Director of Forterra Environmental Corp. (TSXV:FTE)
- Former Director of the Greater Toronto Marketing Alliance, Mississauga Technology Association, Connect.IT and the Canadian Society for the Advancement of Legal Technology.
- Past Director of Peel Senior Link
- United Way of Peel
- Member and Counsel to Maple Leaf Angels
- Member, Association for Corporate Growth
- Member, Canadian Venture Capital & Private Equity Association
- Member, Institute of Corporate Directors
- Member, Ontario Local Advisory Committee for the TSX Venture Exchange
- What’s Happening Around Miller Thomson?, Securities Practice Notes (Fall 2009)
- Abdula v. Canadian Solar Inc.: In Ontario, Everyone is "Responsible", Securities Practice Notes, Spring 2013
Key Practice Expertise
Areas of Focus
- Angel Investing
Year of Call
- Ontario Bar, 1983