Peter Auvinen is the Co-Leader of Miller Thomson's National Banking, Financial Services and Insolvency Group; he is the Co-Chair of Miller Thomson's Financial Services and Insolvency Group in Toronto and leads Miller Thomson's Nordic Practice Group. Peter is also a member of Miller Thomson’s Executive Committee.
Mr. Auvinen practices commercial litigation with a significant focus on creditors' remedies, insolvency litigation and commercial debt enforcement. He has appeared as counsel in numerous receiverships, CCAA and bankruptcy proceedings and has litigated a variety of financial services related issues. Mr. Auvinen has a considerable amount of experience representing trustees, receivers, secured lenders and equipment lessors, in particular. Mr. Auvinen appears regularly in the Commercial Court in Toronto.
Mr. Auvinen also has considerable experience as a general commercial litigator. He has acted as counsel in a broad range of cases including shareholder, oppression remedy, valuation, breach of contract, sale of goods, employment and construction disputes. Mr. Auvinen has represented all types of professionals including engineers, architects, real estate brokers and agents and appraisers. He has extensive trial experience and has appeared as counsel in all levels of courts in Ontario and has also appeared in the Supreme Court of Canada.
Mr. Auvinen also leads Miller Thomson's Nordic Practice Group. He is the President of the Canada Finland Chamber of Commerce and is a member of the Finnish American Chamber of Commerce (New York) and the Finnish American Lawyers' Association. Mr. Auvinen travels regularly to the Nordic countries to meet with clients directly in order to better understand their legal and business needs. He is dedicated to providing personalized legal services to clients from this region. As the leader of the Nordic Practice Group, Mr. Auvinen coordinates the delivery of legal services by Miller Thomson's many practice groups to ensure that every client receives the necessary specialized legal services, efficiently and cost effectively.
- LL.B., University of Western Ontario, 1986
- B.A., University of Western Ontario, 1982
- BV Peer Review Rated by LexisNexis Martindale- Hubbell
- President, Canada Finland Chamber of Commerce
- Co-chairman, Financial Services and Insolvency Practice Group
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Advocates’ Society
- Member, Metropolitan Toronto Lawyers’ Association
- Member, Finnish American Chamber of Commerce (New York)
- Member, Finnish American Lawyers’ Association
- Lessor v. Bankruptcy Trustee, Financial Services & Insolvency Newsletter, Spring 1997