Heather MacMillan-Brown, Q.C.
Heather MacMillan-Brown is a Partner in the Saskatoon office of Miller Thomson where her practice primarily focuses on the areas of civil litigation, medical discipline and administrative law. She also works extensively in the areas of wills and estates and real estate. Heather regularly acts for individuals, professionals, small and large businesses and insurers in her litigation practice. She has represented clients before all levels of Saskatchewan Courts, the College of Physicians and Surgeons and various administrative bodies.
In the area of wills and estates, Heather has significant experience in estate planning including preparing simple and complex wills, powers of attorney and health care directives for clients. She has also made guardianship applications under the Adult Guardianship and Co-Decision Making Act and acted for clients on both small and large estates.
Heather has been extensively involved in the Canadian Bar Association for much of her career. She began her involvement as a member of the Civil Litigation section of the CBA Saskatchewan, becoming chair of the section from 2004 to 2007. In 2007, she was appointed to the Executive of CBA Saskatchewan as Communications Chair and held that position until September 2010. In her capacity as Communications Chair, she served as the editor of Bar Notes, CBA Saskatchewan's quarterly publication. In 2009, Heather was appointed to the CBA National Communications Committee. Heather is currently Vice-President of CBA Saskatchewan and will be President in 2012-2013.
Prior to joining the firm, Heather articled with the Court of Queen’s Bench in Regina.
- LL.B. (with distinction), University of Saskatchewan, 1996
- B.A. (English), University of Regina, 1995
- Saskatchewan Trial Lawyers' Association Trial Advocacy Award, 1996
- Mary Richiger Award for Municipal Law, 1996
- "I" Witness - The View from the side of the witness stand, Bar Notes Winter 2010
- Chairperson, SKLESI Seminar on Simplified Procedure, 2005
- President, Saskatchewan Branch Canadian Bar Association
- Director, Board of Directors of Autism Services Saskatoon - also serving on the Board Governance Committee
- member of Governance sub-committee for Autism Services
- Wilson School of Highland Dance
- Marian Gymnastics Club
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Civil Litigation Section of CBA Saskatchewan
Key Practice Expertise
Areas of Focus
- Professional Discipline and Liability Defence
- University Academic and Contractual Disputes
- Wills, Powers of Attorney and Advanced Health Care Directives
- Estate Planning for Blended Families
Year of Call
- Saskatchewan Bar, 1997