John Downing is a Litigation lawyer in the London office of Miller Thomson. His practice incorporates a wide range of litigation matters, and focuses specifically on corporate and commercial disputes, professional negligence, product liability, insurance defence, and real estate. He frequently lectures on these topics, including at the University of Western Ontario Law School.
John has appeared as trial and appellate counsel at all levels of the Ontario court system on a broad range of matters, including dealership and franchise disputes, product liability lawsuits, injunctive relief in commercial matters, shareholder disputes, contract disputes, intellectual property disputes, economic torts, applications for approval of company arrangements under the OBCA, commercial leasing disputes, debt collection, and medical negligence actions.
John has also appeared before many boards and tribunals, including the College of Physicians and Surgeons, the Health Professions Appeal and Review Board, the Health Services Appeal and Review Board, and the Ontario Rental Housing Tribunal.
John is active in the London community. He owns a local restaurant and is a director of the London Downtown Business Development Association. Outside the practice of law, John enjoys camping, bicycling and mountaineering.
- LL.B., University of Western Ontario, 1996
- B.Math, University of Waterloo, 1988
- Adjunct Professor & Tutorial Instructor in Advocacy, University of Western Ontario Law School
- Director, London Downtown Business Development Association
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Middlesex Law Association
- Member, Advocates Society
- Member, Law Society of Upper Canada
Key Practice Expertise
Areas of Focus
- Directors’ and Officers’ Liability
- Product Liability
- Dispute Resolution, Mediation and Arbitration
- Professional Liability Disputes
Year of Call
- Ontario Bar, 1998