Biographie( Disponible en anglais seulement )
Ormonde Benson is a partner in the Business Law Group of Miller Thomson LLP in Toronto.
Ormonde’s practice focuses on corporate finance and mergers and acquisitions. He also advises clients with regard to ongoing securities law compliance. He has acted for both issuers and agents in a variety of public offerings, including numerous offerings of flow-through units totaling more than $350 million.
In addition to his securities law experience, Ormonde has significant experience in the areas of private mergers and acquisitions and secured lending.
Prior to joining Miller Thomson LLP, Ormonde was a business law associate with another national law firm where he spent time working in both in Ontario and British Columbia. In 2001 he clerked with the British Columbia Court of Appeal.
Ormonde holds an EU passport (Irish) and speaks conversational German.
- LL.B., University of British Columbia, 2001
- B.A. (English), University of Western Ontario, 1995
- B.E.Sc., University of Western Ontario, 1995
Ormonde has acted for both issuers and agents in a variety of public offerings, including:
- numerous offerings of flow-through units for a variety of issuers totaling more than $350 million;
- various financings of junior mining companies; and
- a complex sale of restricted securities in the secondary market.
Mergers and Acquisitions
Ormonde has also been involved in a number of mergers and acquisitions totaling more than $10 billion, including:
- representing Anglo American in a joint venture project worth up to $1.425 billion;
- representing Molson in its cross-border merger of equals with Coors;
- representing an Ontario-based entity in a cross-border acquisition of various shipping ports valued at almost $2 billion; and
- representing Unum Provident life insurance in a $2 billion sale of its assets.
Ormonde has acted for both borrowers and lenders in secured lending transactions totaling more than $5 billion, including:
- an initially hostile takeover bid of one income fund by another;
- the restructuring of Stelco Inc.; and
- financing the ongoing operations of a global media company, an international environmental company and a major Canadian communications company.
- Chaired panel discussion at the 2011 Annual National Angel Capital Organization discussing venture capital in Canada
- Secret Proxy Fights: Is Your Board About to be Replaced Without Your Knowledge? Advance Notice By-laws May Save the Day, Alerte valeurs mobilières, Automne 2012
- Adjusting to the OSC's new goals, Corporate Secretary, 2012
- Recent Changes to Canadian Securities Regulation, Business Law in Canada: Recent Developments, Fall 2009
Principaux domaines de pratiques
Admission au Barreau
- Ontario Bar, 2003